Saturday, August 11, 2012

FAIRY TALES FEATURED IN THE ADVOCATE

Very excited that The Advocate featured my MFA project on their website! Quite the honor.

I also really love how they worded the short intro they included: "Like you always wanted Classics Illustrated comics to do..." Absolutely! Aesthetically, I wanted to give gay people the same kinds of generic, stereotypical romantic images and tropes that straight people grow up with and take for granted. I researched comic books, romance novel covers and movie posters to get most of these poses.


The calendar is still on sale in a slightly modified version on deviantART.

Funny back story: The reason The Advocate noticed my work in the first place was because of my Marriage in the Bible infographic that had gone viral. Apparently, the odious anti-gay group NOM had commented on it. A friend of mine suggested I send NOM a thank-you card for the attention. Haha! So thanks, NOM! You helped us get more positive images of same-sex relationships into the public consciousness. Hope you are proud of your good deed! :D

*Some people have been asking about the calendar year. If you buy a calendar it will be for 2013. I double checked with deviantART:

The year will automatically change in July to the next year.

Example: If you submit a Calendar for the year 2013 before the end of December 2012, the Calendar will automatically change to the year 2014 in July 2013.

We currently ship calendars for the year 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I’m proud to say that I put the spotlight on your Fairy Tales first at the Jesus in Love Blog. I will add a link to this Advocate article to my original post .

    I visited your blog today because I was testing the link in your credit line. I am preparing to post your image of Bayard Rustin and Walter Naegle with my piece honoring Rustin on the 25th anniversary of his death (Aug. 24). Thanks again for sharing your inspiring and important art.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.